The word ‘hero’ comes from the Greek meaning protector or defender. In
Antiquity, a hero was a demi-god prepared to die honourably to reach his goals.
The definition has changed over time; hero has come to mean a person who is
admired for their courage, outstanding achievements or noble qualities. I have
many heroes, some real, some not. That is because I have a vivid imagination,
so I can invent or find my heroes according to my needs or moods.
Let me talk a little bit about imagination. Imagination is a creative
act of perception and thought. It is also a vector for greater equality because
it allows everyone to express their thoughts and feelings. For example, some children
with disabilities manage to find imaginative ways to communicate with others. Imagination
can also give hope, like at Christmas for poor children who only get small
gifts; with their imagination, they can invent something bigger or more cool,
for example, a cheap teddy bear can become the perfect best friend.
Unfortunately, you can also imagine terrible things, especially at night
when you get nightmares. A lively imagination can even make you believe in
something which does not exist, for example when you “see” a mirage. It can
also make people believe in dangerous ideas (just look at how members of
religious sects can be made to believe in all sorts of silly things!).
Imagination helps me appreciate life more, even when I am sad. As for my
heroes, they can take on any form I like; it depends on my powers of imagination.
Have you noticed how we often project our ideas, ideals and feelings on
people who, in fact, do not have an exemplary life? JFK and Gandhi were and
still are heroes to many people despite the fact that they were far from always
heroic… John Lennon is another example of that. He’s in fact one of my heroes, though
he could sometimes be selfish and unkind, just because he sang Imagine in 1971 to promote peace and to
encourage people to believe in a peaceful world. I admire people who – often heroically
– defend positive ideas of peace and happiness.

No comments:
Post a Comment